So, the Tonys have come and gone again. And now the summer heats up with Broadway Bares, an event that I have been blogging about pretty much all week. Today's shows mark the 20th edition of the event which benefits BC/EFA, which in turn supports a variety of health-related organizations. If any of you go to Broadway Bares 20: Strip-opoly, please send me some of your pics to share! And check out a special section of photos at the very bottom of this blog - one last look at Click It! and Strip-opoly -and it is NOT WORK SAFE!
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED THIS WEEK!
- Click on "Broadway Ladies" above to see who is Ms. Broadway June 2010!
- Click on "Broadway Boys" above and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the full list of Broadway Bares blogs.
WHAT YOU MIGHT MISS: CLOSING SOON!
- Well, it isn't closing, it is going on hiatus, until July 13. I'm talking, of course, about A Little Night Music. But today is your last chance to see Tony-winners Catherine Zeta-Jones and Angela Lansbury. Then, on July 13, you'll get your first shot at seeing Tony winners Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch.
3 Biggies will be gone for good!
- Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical: They said would run for years, but it is closing. Apparently years means just over 500 performances, which is respectable, if not ground-breaking.
- Sondheim on Sondheim: Broadway will be legend-less (until July 13, at least) when Barbara Cook shuffles off into the wings for the last time. But no worries! The CD will be out before you know it!
- RED: It is hard to believe the runaway winner at the Tonys will be a thing of the past two short weeks later. A real shame. No wonder everyone's in an uproar over the "win and leave" trend. Commercialism in theatre really blows sometimes.
NOT TO BE OUTDONE...
The West End is getting into the Broadway Bares phenomenon, with West End Bares: Strip Britannia!. Jerry Mitchell supervises and produces the event, scheduled for as the Brits say, 5 September 2010. Hot and cheeky works on both sides of the Atlantic, if you asked me!
BROADWAY BY THE NUMBERS
- 7 million: The numbers of viewers, according to the Nielsons, of the 2010 Tony Awards
- 5%: The percentage of fewer viewers this year than last.
- 76: The number of days until the first play opening of the 2010-2011 season - a revival of Mrs. Warren's Profession, starring the great Cherry Jones.
- 134: The number of days until the first musical opening of the 2010-2011 season - Kander and Ebb's The Scottsboro Boys.
06/13: Richard Thomas (Race)
06/14: George O'Dowd aka Boy George (Taboo)
06/15: Neil Patrick Harris (Assassins)
06/16: Laurie Metcalf (Brighton Beach Memoirs)
06/17: Barry Manilow (Barry Manilow on Broadway)
06/18: Kerry Butler (Xanadu)
06/19: Kathleen Turner (Indiscretions)
EXTRA! EXTRA! PHOTO SHOOTS FOR BROADWAY BARES (NWS)
As promised, here are two photo shoots related to Broadway Bares. First, from Click It!, publicity shots for the Fantasy Football number. Photos by Bruno Rand.
Daniel Robinson, Andrew Glaszek and Adam Hart
Which position fellas?
Linebacker, Wide Receiver or Tight End?
Talk about "touch" football!
And here's the whole 2009 squad.
Looking good, boys!
And here is a photo shoot for Next Magazine that features this year's Broadway Bares models in a variety of swimwear. Photos by Wilsonmodels.
Gerard Salvador (Mamma Mia!)
Kyle Des Champs (Billy Elliot)
Charlie Williams (Memphis)
Charlie Williams and Adam Michael Hart
Adam Michael Hart and Charlie Williams
All of the Broadway Bares Boys!
Remember: to contribute to this worthy charity, go to http://www.broadwaybares.com/ or http://www.broadwaycares.org/.
Comments? Leave one here or email me at email@example.com. (NOTE THE SPELLING!)