Last month, in honor of the Tony Award nominations, I did one poll a week, instead of my usual one a month. Thank you to everyone who took the time to participate!
Here are the results:
Tony Poll #1: Which show should have won Best Musical?
3. A 4-way tie, with 5.9% of the vote each: Mamma Mia!, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and Xanadu
2. A 2-way tie, with 11.8% of the vote each: The Full Monty and Urinetown: the Musical
1. A 3-way tie, with 17.7% of the vote each: Movin' Out, next to normal and The Drowsy Chaperone
It's funny, I got the most emails I've ever gotten about this poll! It is really incredible that so many of us are so passionate about theatre and about our personal favorites! And in answer to the most common question you all asked me: I don't vote, but I would have voted for Movin' Out! Surprised I didn't say next to normal, huh? Well, that show lost the Tony but got the Pulitzer, so I'm satisfied.
Tony Poll #2: Which show was the most overlooked production of the 2009-2010 season?
4. A 3-way tie, with 6% of the vote each: Promises, Promises, Lend Me a Tenor, and Enron
3. A 2-way tie, with 11.5% of the vote each: The Addams Family and Sondheim on Sondheim
2. A 2-way tie, with 18% of the vote each: American Idiot and Next Fall
1. With 23% of the vote: Come Fly Away
I would have voted for either Promises, Promises or The Addams Family. Not only because they are terrific shows, but because if I was on the nominating committee, each of them would have gotten way more nominations than they did.
Tony Poll #3: Which 2009-2010 show was the most overrated of the season?
3. A 2-way tie, with 11% of the vote each: Everyday Rapture and Memphis
2. A 2-way tie, with 22% of the vote each: Million Dollar Quartet and American Idiot
1. With 33% of the vote: The Addams Family
Perhaps I didn't word the question correctly... maybe you thought "overrated" meant "over hyped". Considering the wholesale dismissal of both The Addams Family and Million Dollar Quartet, I'm not sure how you could say they were overrated. Unless you thought they were WORSE than even the critics have said...
Tony Poll #4: Should they re-instate the Special Theatrical Event Tony Award?
37%: Yes, they should
50%: Yes, but only when necessary.
13%: No. They should keep it out.
I'd be in the 50% group. Don't force a category, but when warranted, add it! This season sure could have used it.
Thanks to all of you who participated in the polls, and a special thank you to all of you who took the time to email.
VOTE IN THIS MONTH'S POLL!
Comments? Leave one here or email me at email@example.com.
HERE'S WHAT'S NEW ON THE SITE:
CLICK/TAP THE TABS ABOVE TO ACCESS OUR ARCHIVE OF SHOW AND MEDIA REVIEWS, AS WELL AS FEATURES LIKE BROADWAY WHO'S WHO AND ONE THAT GOT AWAY. COLLECTORS WILL BE INTERESTED IN OUR LIGHTS OF BROADWAY CARDS AND PLAYBILLS FOR SALE!
COMING UP ON BROADWAY: Diana - Previews 12.1.21 Opens 12.16.21 The Music Man - Previews 12.20.21 SIX - Opens Company - Previews The Lehman Trilogy - Previews Mrs. Doubtfire - Previews The Minutes - Previews MJ: The Musical - Previews 9.21 Plaza Suite - Previews TBA American Buffalo - Previews TBA Take Me Out - Previews TBA 1776 - Previews TBA Caroline, or Change -Previews TBA Flying Over Sunset - Fall 2021 Birthday Candles - Fall 2021 Sing Street - Winter 2021 Our Town - TBA Thoughts of a Colored Man - TBA
COMING UP THIS WEEK: 4/12: 2010s Broadway Musical Logo Madness! The Championship! - 4/13: This Week in Broadway History - 4/14: Broadway Who's Who - 4/15: Broadway Bookshelf: Tony Books - 4/16: Broadway Game!
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org (Email); @jkstheatrescene (Twitter); jkstheatrescene (Instagram)