Kimberly Akimbo last month, our Playbills came with a little white piece of paper. "At this performance, the role of Martin will be played by Alex Vinh." We are always excited to see new talent, and in this case, a new young actor making his Broadway debut! If you go, and see that he's on at your performance, you are in for a real treat.
What a thrill to report that he was terrific - notable for his vibrant presence, ease with the sharp group of four show choir teens, and especially his chemistry with the equally vibrant Michael Iskander. Truly, it is great to find out that this little ensemble - with the tightest harmonies currently on Broadway - runs like a well-oiled machine no matter who is in the mix. Mr. Vinh is also really funny, getting laughs where I don't recall them occurring before.
with his fellow KA swings Skye Alyssa Friedman and Miguel Gil
Needless to say, I had to find out more about this dynamo. Here's what I found:
- He has a BFA in Musical Theater from Texas Christian University.
- Among the shows he was a part of in his training were Sweeney Todd (Tobias Ragg), Bat Boy (Bat Boy), Sylvia, and A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine.
- In addition to acting, his training also included make-up and wig design.
- He's appeared in a variety of regional theater productions including: Violet, Winter's Tale, ...Spelling Bee, Mamma Mia! and Spring Awakening.
- Off-Broadway, he was in CSC's Snow in Midsummer, and Kimberly Akimbo at Atlantic Theater Company.
- We also spotted him in a featured role in season 1 of Only Murders in the Building!
I look forward to watching Alex's career take off!
Post a Comment