LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? BECOME A "FOLLOWER"!
NEW! SIGN UP TO GET THIS BLOG VIA EMAIL! (LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT UNDER THE POLL)
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED THIS WEEK:
March 28: REVIEW: How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
March 29: REVIEW: Priscilla Queen of the Desert
March 30: Masterpiece Theatre: Broadway Bares XXI and More Bares News
March 31: Poll Results: Merch Madness!
April 1: Mr. Broadway April 2011: Charlie Williams
April 2: REVIEW: Arcadia
SPECIAL DISCOUNT CODE FOR HOW TO SUCCEED!: (Just click for details!)
TOPS AND BOTTOMS (March 21 - 27)
- Top Gross: Wicked ($1.63M)
- Top Attendance: The Book of Mormon (101.9%)
- Bottom Gross: High (4 previews) $58K
- Bottom Attendance: Million Dollar Quartet (59.5%)
- $1M Club: Jersey Boys, The Lion King, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, Wicked
- SRO Club: How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Sister Act (3 previews), The Book of Mormon, War Horse, Wicked
BROADWAY BIRTHDAYS THIS WEEK:
- March 28: Actor/Singer Reba McEntire (Annie Get Your Gun)
- March 29: Actor Megan Hilty (9 to 5: The Musical, Wicked)
- March 30: Actor John Astin (Original Cast - Threepenny Opera)
- March 31: Actor Shirley Jones (Original/Replacement - South Pacific, Maggie Flynn)
- April 1: Actor Debbie Reynolds (Irene, Woman of the Year)
- April 2: Actor Linda Hunt (Ah! Wilderness! (revival), End of the World)
- April 3: Actor David Hyde Pierce (Spamalot, Curtains)
BROADWAY IN PREVIEWS AND OPENING THIS WEEK
- Anything Goes: Previews – March 10; Opening - April 7
- Baby It’s You!: Previews - March 26; Opening - April 27
- Born Yesterday: Previews - March 31; Opening - April 24
- Catch Me If You Can: Previews – March 11; Opening - April 10
- High: Previews - March 25; Opening - April 19
- The House of Blue Leaves: Previews - April 4; Opening - April 25
- Jerusalem: Previews - April 2; Opening - April 21
- The Motherfucker with the Hat: Previews - March 15; Opening - April 11
- The People in the Picture: Previews - April 1; Opening - April 28
- Sister Act: Previews - March 24; Opening - April 20
- Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark: Previews - November 28, 2010; Opening – June 14
- War Horse: Previews - March 17; Opening - April 14
- Wonderland: Previews - March 21; Opening - April 17
COMINGS AND GOINGS
- Luke McFarlane (TV’s Brothers and Sisters) and Patrick Breen (Next Fall) have joined the cast of The Normal Heart.
Brooke in Chicago...
- Brooke Shields will replace Bebe Neuwirth in The Addams Family starting June 28.
- Looks like the In the Heights film isn’t going to happen - at least not with Universal Studios. It would be a shame to not have a film version of this great, upbeat show.
- Kathy Griffin will not get her wish: Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony has been deemed ineligible for that award by this year’s Tony Awards Committee.
- When The Phantom of the Opera hits the road again - you surely didn’t think it was over last October, did you? - it looks like it will get a staging re-do like the current North American tour of Les Miserables. I hope it is better than the Les Miz re-do, about which I’ve heard nothing positive.
- On March 30th, Broadway lights were dimmed to honor the late Lanford Wilson.
- The Original Broadway Cast Recording of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown will be released on May 10, and will include the original opening of the show “My Crazy Heart.” This is cool for me, since that’s the opening I saw!
- On March 30th grandmothers from all over helped Grandma Addams celebrate her Sweet 116th birthday! You go, girl!
BROADWAY HISTORY: MAJOR OPENINGS OVER THE YEARS
- 1951: The King and I, St. James Theatre, 1,246 performances.
- 1970: Applause, Palace Theatre, 896 performances.
- 1980: Children of a Lesser God, Longacre Theatre, 887 performances.
- 1982: Agnes of God, Music Box Theatre, 599 performances.
- 2000: Contact, Vivian Beaumont Theatre, 1,010 performances.
- 1945: The Glass Menagerie, Playhouse Theatre, 563 performances.
- 2005: Doubt, The Walter Kerr Theatre, 525 performances.
- 2009: Hair, The Al Hirschfeld Theatre, 519 performances.
- 2011: Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo opened at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on March 31, 2011.
- 2010: Red, John Golden Theatre, 101 performances.
- 2008: South Pacific, Vivian Beaumont Theatre, 996 performances.
BROADWAY VIDEO OF THE WEEK
A presentation by the Handspring Puppet Company, makers of the puppets used in War Horse. This is fascinating. A little creepy, but fascinating.
Comments? Leave one here, email me at jkstheatrescene@yahoo, or Tweet me!