PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO CAST YOUR VOTE
FOR ROUND 3 OF HOT/HOTTER
AND THIS MONTH'S BROADWAY POLL (BOTH TO YOUR LEFT)!
BROADWAY RUMOR OF THE WEEK:
- How long will it be before they announce that Lysistrata Jones will re-open at New World Stages?
BROADWAY VIDEO OF THE WEEK:
Avenue Q Welcomes Carrie Back to NYC!
BROADWAY'S WINNERS AND LOSERS FOR THE WEEK:
- WINNERS: The fans of The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess: The show has extended its run the Richard Rodgers Theatre through September 30th.
- WINNERS: The fans of Once. The Original Broadway Cast Recording will arrive on March 13, just before the show opens! I'm looking forward to hearing more than "Falling Slowly," a song that so far bores me to tears.
- LOSERS: Everyone (myself included) who missed Stick Fly. The drama has announced its closing on February 26th.
- WINNERS: Tweeters who can't go a minute without Tweeting. Godspell the production that continues to push all kinds of media boundaries - The People of Godspell, etc. - has announced a Tweet seat performance. You Tweeters finally wore someone down. If you can't beat 'em join 'em, right?
- LOSERS: Everyone who isn't a Tweeter at that Tweet seat performance. First, people unaware of the Tweet seat thing will feel that it is OK to Tweet from their seat. Second, the Circle in the Square Theatre is in the round, so no matter where the Tweet seats are, the majority of the audience will be distracted by the glow of their various phones, pads, etc., not to mention any kind of noise that the device makes to signal a Tweet's arrival. Wait... they could sit backstage, I guess. This is can only lead to more audience misbehavior. What's next? A "talk during the show" section?
- WINNERS: Ticket holders for Evita. Did you see Glee? Ricky Martin is a performing god. Really, he is. What charisma! What teeth!
- WINNERS: The cast of the revival of Carrie. The great Betty Buckley will be in attendance at the Lucille Lortel, passing the, um, torch, to Marin Mazzie. One diva to another... don't be nervous, cast. Betty Lynn is all about love.
- LOSER: American Idol's Randy Jackson. No reply you could give to Betty Buckley about your stupid remarks over 11 seasons about "Broadway" will keep our queen quiet. You are in the Broadway doghouse, dawg.
|Carrie 1989: Linzey Hateley|
|Carrie 2012: Marin Mazzie and Molly Ranson|
- WINNERS: All theatre folk - fans and pros. Smash isn't technically one, yet. But it sure is promising. The real test will come when Dancing with the Stars and new episodes of Castle return on a rival network. Same audience... will anyone change the channel?
BROADWAY: NOW IN PREVIEWS/OPENING THIS WEEK:
- Shatner's World: We Just Live in It. Music Box Theatre. Previews: 02.14.12; Opens: 02.16.12; Closes: 03.04.12.
- Death of a Salesman. Ethel Barrymore Theatre. Previews: 02.13.12; Opens: 03.15.12; Closes: 06.02.12.