Mr. June 2014
WHY HE'S MR. BROADWAY: If it is possible to have a lighting designer as a hero, then Kevin Adams is a hero to me. I love that his lighting always makes the story-telling so much deeper in every show he works on. It can be spectacular or subtle or even non-existent. He's the master of light and dark. He's designed all over the place (and not just in this country), in every major city. Plays, musicals, solo shows, and several operas (from the Houston Grand Opera to The Met). But here, we talk Broadway, and he's done his share, for sure - some 21 productions. All told, he's been nominated for SIX Tony Awards, and has won four, including Hedwig and the Angry Inch. If that's not reason enough to name him Mr. Broadway June 2014, I don't know what is!
- He was born in Pampas, Texas on June 26th.
- He's got a B.F.A. in Scenery Design from the University of Texas, and a Master's from the California Institute for the Arts.
- His video about a gay-bashing murder in Houston was shown at the AFI and the BFI.
- A celebrated photographer, he has pictures that are a part of the permanent collection at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
- He designed the lights for the original production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Read an interesting article on his early career HERE.
- His partner, James Noone, is a set designer (most recently, Broadway's Lady Day...). They worked together on A Class Act and Getting and Spending.
|James Noone and Kevin Adams|
Including Rigoletto (Metropolitan Opera), The Turn of the Screw (Chicago Opera Theatre)
Including Carrie, RENT
Including A Class Act, Take Me Out, Spring Awakening, The 39 Steps, Passing Strange, Hair, Next to Normal, American Idiot, Everyday Rapture, On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, Hands on a Hardbody, Hedwig and the Angry Inch
|Spring Awakening - Tony Award|
|The 39 Steps - Tony Award|
Hair and Next to Normal - Tony Award Nominations
|American Idiot - Tony Award|
|Hedwig and the Angry Inch - Tony Award|