Today's blog will cover the next 6 years in the history of the world, 1998 - 2003.
In 1998, a gallon of gas averaged $1.15.
- Bill Clinton denies having "sexual relations" with a White House intern named Monica Lewinsky.
- The nations of Europe agree to a single monetary unit, called the Euro.
- Exxon and Mobile combine to become the world's largest petroleum company.
- New $20.00 bills are introduced that make counterfeiting much more difficult.
- Microsoft is the biggest company on the NYSE.
- The Winter Olympics are held in Nagano, Japan.
- Both the iMac and Viagra are introduced to the public.
- Google is founded.
- The Human Population reaches 6 Billion.
- Lance Armstrong wins his first Tour de France.
- Barbie turns 40!
- MySpace begins as a social network, though it is not officially launched until 2003.
- The concept of Bluetooth is made public.
- The biggest news of the year: preparing for doomsday, aka Y2K, which threatened to bring the world to its knees.
- The last year of the 20th century.
- The state of Vermont becomes the first to grant and recognize same-sex Civil Unions.
- The expected lifespan in the United States is now an average of 77.5 years.
- Tiger Woods becomes the youngest player to win a Grand Slam in golf.
- The iPod is released.
- Wikipedia goes online.
- Windows XP is released.
- Mamma Mia! opens on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theatre.
- The Mars Odyssey finds large masses of ice on Mars.
- Queen Elizabeth II celebrates her Golden Jubilee.
- The first American Idol is crowned. Her name is Kelly Clarkson.
- The national Do Not Call Registry is started to the chagrin of tele-marketers.
- Because France won't help out with the Iraq situation, wacky government workers begin calling fried potatoes "Freedom Fries."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger is elected Governor of California.
- 50 million people are without power during the largest blackout in North American history.
- iTunes is introduced and sells 10 million songs in just a few months.
- Wicked opens on Broadway at the Gershwin Theatre.
In 2003, a gallon of gas averages $1.83.
Comments? Leave one here, email me or Tweet me!