Anyway, being the Broadway geek that I am, you can imagine that I get excited when a show tune Christmas song comes on. I crank up the radio and sing at the top of my lungs (pretty embarrassing during rush hour)! Not all of my favorite Christmas/Broadway songs get air play, though. So here are...
My 12 Favorite Broadway Christmas Songs
12. "No Good Can Come From Bad" from The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Politics and Christmas seem like strange bedfellows, don't they? But 3 of my 12 faves have political undertones. The first on stage was done as a British Panto number, complete with cannon costumes, and dozens of Maggie Thatcher puppets.
11. "Merry Christmas, Maggie Thatcher" from Billy Elliot: The Musical
One of my favorite shows in recent years featured a tear-jerker of an Act One finale. I know Christmas can be an emotionally overwhelming time, but who thought a felon on the run and an FBI agent could make me cry?
10. "Christmas Is My Favorite Time of Year" from Catch Me If You Can
Leave it to Broadway to turn a Madame and her hookers into a Christmas musical memory...
This is a relative newcomer in the Broadway canon, but its exuberance makes me want to believe all over again...
8. "There Is a Santa Claus!" from Elf: The Musical
I'll end the first half of this list with a true classic. This wouldn't even be on the list if it weren't for the penchant for bringing movies to the stage, but how can you resist this song and the whole show that surrounds it like a big fat ribbon?
7. "White Christmas" from White Christmas
What are my 6 favorite Broadway Christmas songs? Check back tomorrow! And tell me your favorites by adding a comment below!
Before you go... (Click the blue links!)
Check out these reviews:
Check out these Broadway Babies:
- The Book of Mormon's Matt Doyle (Mr. December)
- A Christmas Story's Erin Dilly (Ms. November)
- The Mystery of Edwin Drood's Eric Sciotto - Chat Part 2!
- Spencer Plachy (Face of the Future)
VOTE IN THE THIS MONTH'S POLL - LEFT SIDE OF BLOG!