So the inaugural edition comes from already missing Fosse/Verdon. (The is a safe space, readers. We can all admit we are mourning its end...) I was actively attending theatre regularly in the mid-80's, and in fact, was obsessing over another Bob Fosse show I had just seen - the revival of Sweet Charity. Two and a half weeks after that opened, so did Big Deal. I still kick myself over missing it. Somewhere, I have a VHS tape of the 1986 Tony Awards, which featured a scene from that show. (Mom, if you are reading this would you please look for my tapes?)
Big Deal Production Information and Stats:
- Book by Bob Fosse (Based on the film "Big Deal on Madonna Street")
- Music/Lyrics by various artists
- Scenic Design by Peter Larkin
- Costume Design by Patricia Zipprodt
- Lighting Design by Jules Fisher
- Dance Captain - Valarie Pettiford
- Assistant Choreographer - Christopher Chadman
- Direction and Choreography by Bob Fosse
- 1st Preview: April 1, 1986
- Opening Night: April 10, 1986
- Closing Night: June 8, 1986
- 8 previews, 69 performances
Why am I disappointed that I missed this one? Well, Bob Fosse. I love his work, his aesthetic, his style. And, of course, in retrospect, it was his last show. It is a small consolation that a small piece of it made it into Fosse. Needless to say, I did not miss that show.
Did you see Big Deal? Let me know! I'd love to chat with you about it.