A NEW ROUND OF "HOT/HOTTER" WILL RETURN SOON!
THANKS FOR PLAYING EACH WEEK!
|Or is it a nightmare?|
Add to all of that the news that the film version of Les Miserables would be pushed back to Christmas Day (big shock there, right?) AND the release of an "extended look" at the film, and Les Miz is EVERYWHERE these days.
And then, yesterday, I finally had enough of the news, the Tweeting (does Aaron Tveit know he has Twit-stalker??) and the endless debate about who should be in it, what theatre it will go in (18 months out, and people are SURE it will be the Winter Garden), and blah blah blah. I came to a very blunt and, even for myself, surprise realization:
I AM SICK OF LES MISERABLES!
Oh, I'll go see the movie - a shirtless Hugh Jackman, and counting all the furtive glances Aaron Tveit gives to Eddie Redmayne's crotch and ass (it's in all of the movie stills), plus the lovely Anne Hathaway are enough to keep me entertained. But I am DONE with the show.
So I quickly asked the Twitter-verse, "Are there any Broadway shows you are sick of?" I got a few responses - not enough to be scientific - but the 8 or so I got were all the same shows. Here they are in alphabetical order, along with some comments I got:
1. Grease I'm guessing the title speaks for itself?
2. Gypsy "It is a great musical, really. But they revive it like every 3 years or so. At least give us a decade before Sutton Foster gets her shot at it!" Hmmm.. maybe 2 decades?
3. Into the Woods "Enough already! The first revival was too soon. The second even more too soon. And I'm tired of hearing it will/it won't come to Broadway." "As the song says, 'Please...NO MORE!'"
4. Love Never Dies I found it interesting that none of the responses I did get said The Phantom of the Opera, but that 2 of less than 10 mentioned the ill-fated sequel. "Let it die!" "No one cares about what happens to these people - a murderer/terrorist, a marginally talented diva, and what turns out to be a drunk aristocrat!" Ouch.
5. Mamma Mia! "It has become a joke, just like Cats and the original Les Miz. Let it go with some dignity." "When most of the audience doesn't even speak English, it is time to close the show." Harsh!
6. Wicked "I am more sick of the fans than the show itself, I guess. Tired of hearing who went on as the 4th student at Shiz at the matinee." "Funny, for a show that doesn't send out much more than casting news, it seems like it's all u hear about."
7. ANYTHING by Tennessee Williams "What next? An all-Martian cast of The Glass Menagerie?" "Didn't he write more than 3 plays?" I laughed my ass off at those Tweets! Thanks!
So, what shows (and why) are you SICK OF HEARING ABOUT!!??
Tweet me: @jkstheatrescene and use #SickofBway in your Tweet!
You people are a riot!
Before you go...
- ...have you ENTERED TO WIN tickets to Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? You have until NOON tomorrow! CLICK the liquor bottle at the top of the left hand column!
- ...have you checked out this week's FACE OF THE FUTURE? CLICK HERE. He's a cutie!
- ...have you checked out MS. BROADWAY SEPTEMBER 2012, CHRISTIANE NOLL? CLICK her picture in the right hand column to see more and to hear her sing from Ragtime!
- ...have you VOTED in this month's THEATRE POLL? CLICK your answer on the poll in the left column!