This is the Theatre Scene for the week of September 12 - 18!
BROADWAY BOX OFFICE (September 5 - 11)
|Top Gross: The Lion King $1.299M|
Photo by Disney Theatricals
|Top Attendance: The Book of Mormon 102.4%|
Top Average Ticket: The Book of Mormon $147.80
Photo by Joan Marcus
|Biggest Drop in Attendance (over previous week):|
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying -18.1%
Photo from HowtoSucceedBroadway.com
- The National Tour of Fela! began in Washington, D.C. at the National Theatre.
- Hugh Jackman: Back on Broadway was announced today. It will be a limited run from October 25 - January 1 at the Broadhurst Theatre. Take that, Mandy!
|Aspects of Love at the Walnut Street Theatre with|
Charles Hagerty and Jennifer Hope Wills
Photo by Mark Garvin
- The Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia began performances of Aspects of Love today. The Andrew Lloyd Webber musical stars Jennifer Hope Wills (The Phantom of the Opera, Wicked), Charles Hagerty and Paul Schoeffler (Rock of Ages). It runs through October 23.
- The National Tour of The Addams Family began today in New Orleans. The tour stars Sara Gettlefinger and Douglas Sills.
- Disney's Newsies began its world premiere run at the Paper Mill Playhouse. The show stars Bonnie and Clyde's Jeremy Jordan and is directed by Bonnie and Clyde's Jeff Calhoun.
|Ten Cents a Dance at the McCarter Theatre|
Photo by T. Charles Erickson
- The star-filled (and rumored to be Broadway-bound) Ten Cents a Dance began performances today at the McCarter Theatre. The show stars Donna McKechnie (A Chorus Line, State Fair) and Malcolm Gets (The Story of My Life, Amour) and is directed by Tony winner John Doyle (Sweeney Todd, Company).
BROADWAY CASTING NEWS
- Bobby Canavale (The Motherfucker with the Hat, TV's Will and Grace) has been cast as Nicky Arnstein in the upcoming revival of Funny Girl. He joins the previously announced Lauren Ambrose (Awake and Sing!, Exit the King). This will be the musical debut for both actors.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Wicked, Promises, Promises) announced on The View that she will be returning to Broadway in a revival of On the Twentieth Century. Personally, I hope this happens - I love me some Kristin. But I also hope her TV series works out. No production has been officially announced.
- Andy Karl (Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde) and Quinn Van Antwerp (National Tour of Jersey Boys) will be joining the Broadway company of Jersey Boys next month.
|Reeve will keep donning the suit through May 2012|
- Though he will be taking a few weeks off to make a film, Reeve Carney has extended his contract with Spider-Man:Turn Off the Dark through May 2012. While he is away, his role will be played by Matthew James Thomas (SEE HIM!!!) and Matt Caplan. Jennifer Damiano has not, so far, renewed her contract. Stay tuned...
- James Lapine will be directing Encores! production of Merrily We Roll Along. This frequent Sondheim collaborator might just be able to make it work.
BROADWAY PICTURE OF THE WEEK
- Any time Broadway makes the cover of a magazine it is blogworthy. Muscle-bound superhero Broadway Boys just make it all the sweeter!
Rate this blog below, leave your comments here, or by email at email@example.com, or Tweet me!